Life, Family, the Heart of Me: We Have Much To Be Thankful For

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Sunday, November 10, 2013

We Have Much To Be Thankful For

  In this country, with all of its excess, it's easy to look at the things we don't have.  We want more.  We want bigger, better, fancier things.  It's hard to be content when we're looking at everything everyone else has.
  My husband, children, and I live quite a modest life in comparison to many of the people we know.  We share a vehicle that sits in a driveway, rather than a garage. Our kids share rooms. We mostly shop at consignment and thrift stores, and we welcome hand-me-downs with minimal objection.  We eat at home more often than not.  We limit our outings, even just to visit friends, so as to preserve our gas.
  I used to see all that my friends were doing, buying, enjoying, and a part of me would turn green with envy.  I didn't like that I couldn't give my kids all the experiences I had as a child, or all of the newest, coolest toys on the market.  I didn't like that I had to make due with the clothes I had because we didn't have the money for weekly shopping sprees.
  I was sad.  I was heartbroken and I felt I wasn't giving my kids enough.  My outlook hurt my husband, who works his rear end off to provide for us.  Because I felt we didn't have enough, he felt that he wasn't good enough.  Ouch.
  The Lord did a number on my heart.  He showed me everything we DO have, and I am so grateful for the flip of that switch.  I have a husband who is faithful and loves me through thick and thin. I have four beautiful children who find joy in the smallest of things.  I have a house that is truly a home, no matter its size, location, or lack of bells and whistles.  I have the privilege of staying home and homeschooling my children. I have parents, in-laws, siblings, and friends who love me and support me and my family.  There is always food on the table. I receive grace and love from Jesus. My family's needs are always met one way or another.
  We have everything we need, and enough of what we want.  We are blessed!!!  I still struggle with the wants of this world sometimes.  I'm human.  Now it's easier to switch gears and remember all that I have instead of all that I want.  When I focus on that, life becomes happier; more peaceful.  I am content, no... I am satisfied.


My Family, Fall 2011. 

  Are you struggling with your desire to accumulate more?  Do you wish you could have a better life?  I want to encourage you to turn your focus from the things you don't have to the things you have, the things that bless you.  Turn your eyes to Jesus and His Word.  Allow Him to show you the blessings He's given you.  Here are a few verses I turn to when I need a reminder of my blessings.  I hope they speak to you and bring you comfort and peace.



Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Matthew 6:33

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
2 Corinthians 9:8

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Philippians 4:6-8

 And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

*All verses come from the New King James Version

  

I pray you will be blessed and be thankful in all seasons.

~Em




No comments:

Post a Comment