Life, Family, the Heart of Me: 7 Ways We Stretch Our Money

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Monday, November 11, 2013

7 Ways We Stretch Our Money

  These days, it's tough to make ends meet for many families.  Everything costs money and almost nothing is cheap.  Many people are living paycheck to paycheck.  Instead of waiting things out and hoping the world will hand us money on a silver platter, I decided to get creative with our finances.  I opened my mind to things I would have never considered and I haven't looked back yet.
  There are many ways my hubby and I stretch our money to make our life more comfortable, fulfilling, and to set our minds at ease.  Here are 7 of them:

1. Ditch Cable~ With great, cheap services like Netflix and Hulu, one doesn't need to spend $100/month on channels they don't even use.  When we moved into our new house 5 months ago, Jeff and I agreed to ditch cable and try out Netflix as our main source of tv and movie viewing. We're still going strong! We also purchased a digital antenna for around $24 that brings in a few basic channels like ABC and Fox for no monthly payment. Between those two things, full episodes of current shows online, and $1(ish) rentals from our local grocery store, we are pretty set with cheap entertainment.

2. Meal Plan~ I notice that when I meal plan, we stick to a budget. Real simple concept.  At first, I was overwhelmed with trying to come up with meals and snacks one to two weeks at a time.  When I got the hang of it, I realized it was much better than that overwhelming feeling of winging it at the grocery store, and not knowing how much I was going to spend at checkout.  There are numerous sources online that list out entire plans a week at a time if you don't want to think at all.  Many even have a grocery list to print off before you head out.  One of my favorites is GroceryBudget101.com. (click on link to go to the site)  I use this plan often and tweak it as I see fit.  Another great place to check out cheap, easy, and healthy meals is Pinterest.  Be careful, though, as many recipes are quite fancy and require lots of ingredients, so you could very well break your budget!

3. Thrift/Consignment Shop/Garage Sale~ I used to get that "ick" factor when thinking of shopping at thrift shops.  I went to a couple reputable consignment shops now and then, and would stop at clean garage sales, where I could see the source I was purchasing from, but places like Goodwill and the Salvation Army were off limits.  I let go of that high and mighty way of thinking and decided that the "ick" factor could be eliminated with a good washing or two.  Yes, there are these really handy appliances called washers and dryers that do wonders to clothes!  Now that I enjoy thrift shopping, I have a hard time even seeing the prices at Walmart! I've become that thrifty (or cheap, whatever you want to call it).  For instance, two of our children needed new winter boots this year.  I price checked at Walmart while we were picking up some groceries. About $25 for a pair of boots.  I decided to look at our local Goodwill and if I didn't find anything, I'd go back to Walmart and pick some up.  Jeff and I had recently dropped off a donation to Goodwill, so we had a 20% off coupon.  We ended up finding the boots we needed in the exact sizes and colors that worked for our kids for $11 total.  TWO pair of boots in good condition for $11?  I'll take that any day! It may take a bit more searching to find the things you want when shopping used, but your wallet will thank you for it.  I find great satisfaction in finding a good deal.  Welcoming hand-me-downs and gifts is free... I've let go of my pride and allowed others to bless us in that way as well.  I make sure to always pay it forward in some way, so as to be a blessing to others, too!

4.  DIY (do it/make it yourself)~ You can make anything these days, and you can use natural ingredients to avoid harsh chemicals as well!  Cleaning products, bath & body, cosmetics, clothing, knick knacks and other decor, quilts, toys, storage containers, the possibilities are endless!  I frequent Pinterest for new ideas and tips.  One of my newer and most exciting diy finds was from my wonderful sister-in-law and her friend: Homemade Liquid Laundry soap.  I love it! It works great and lasts forever! And it saves you a TON of money! Who wouldn't want to give it a try? You can find their recipe on their website: Real Moms, Real Messy, Blessed and Highly Favored. *Update* I now use a new recipe because our water is so hard that our clothes started looking dingy.  This new one has worked so well and I noticed a difference after the first wash!  If you'd like the recipe, email me and I'll send it to you. :) I am also a big fan of the Norwex microfiber cloths for the bulk of my cleaning. It saves me a lot on paper towels and cleaners and I am able to avoid harsh chemicals.  It's really a win-win! Check my Pinterest boards often to find great diy ideas.

5.  Cut up that Credit Card!~ Jeff and I haven't used a credit card in years... and I don't miss it one bit.  A good, wise motto to embrace is "If you don't have the money, don't buy it."  I'm not a fan of paying interest to a company that has no concern for my family's financial well-being.  I don't like debt, interest, or really anything to do with credit cards.  The thought of getting myself into debt makes my skin crawl.  If I have a card, you bet I'm going to forget my willpower and use & abuse it.  So, no credit cards in this house.  We don't need that kind of temptation. If you use credit cards, this is not a slam against your choice, this is just what we have chosen for ourselves. :)

6.  Drive a Car without a Payment~ This kind of goes along with the credit card concept.  I hated having car payments.  It was one more worry to add to the list, and one more bill to pay each month.  We now share a vehicle, which can be tricky at times, but I'd much rather save up and pay for a second car in full than to rush out and sign up for a lovely monthly payment with that dirty "i" word (interest).  I'm fine with driving a car that's not brand new... or fairly new.  As long as it runs and isn't hideous, I'm game!  Eliminating our car payments has eliminated stress and has given us a bit more freedom financially.  Totally worth it!

7. Turn Your Home into a Fun Place to Hang~ Purchase board games, movies (utilize Netflix), decorate in a way that's pleasing to the eye, buy comfortable furniture, de-clutter.... do whatever it takes to make your home a place you'd like to be.  If you have room for guests, have friends over once a week for games and appetizers.
  Exchanging your movie tickets for a rental at home saves big bucks.  You pay less for a box of microwave popcorn and a two-liter of Coke than you do for a tub of popcorn at the theater.
  Try new recipes and set the table with cloth napkins and your finest china to get the restaurant vibe going in your kitchen.  Don't have china? Grab some cute paper plates at the dollar store or use whatever dishes you have.  Use what you have and what you can afford to make your dinners at home fun and exciting.
  Embrace your family and learn to enjoy being with them.  If we focus on our family and loving the home we're in, we won't focus so much on what we're missing out on outside the home. Learn a new instrument or develop a new hobby with your spouse or children.  Find things to do that bring the family together and provide entertainment.  If you get creative, staying home won't feel like such a bummer.  You'll actually enjoy your time and won't miss going out all the time.  This will save you big bucks!



  While Jeff and I are forever learning how to be responsible with our finances, we have come so far and have rid ourselves of a lot of unnecessary stresses by following these guidelines.  We have a long way to go, but I find comfort in knowing we are on the right track.

  What tips could you share that will help us stretch our money?  I'd love to hear them!

~Em

3 comments:

  1. Like you, we shop at Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift shops for MUCH of our household and clothing goods. I love a deal, and I love having so many brands in one place to browse through! No sense in wasting money paying the prices in stores when you can buy second hand for MUCH less.

    As for groceries, I like to stock up on groceries at Aldi's. I don't buy everything I need there, but I do stock up on staples there that are nearly always cheaper than other grocery stores. I like to purchase meat at our local store, V and V meats- I love supporting small business and I feel the quality is much better than any of the local grocery stores. When I think of it and can get there, I like to buy bread at the Outlet stores. Savings of at least half price really adds up. Of course, if you have a big enough freezer, you can freeze it wonderfully in the bag it comes in. Just let it defrost on the counter.

    In the cooler months, I leave our house temperatures on the cooler side. I figure we can either wear sweatshirts/sweatpants or throw a blanket on if we are just sitting around. Programmable thermostat makes it a breeze to lower the temps even further at night when you are in bed under covers and then turn it back up before you get out of bed in the morning.

    I do almost all my laundry on cold cycle, and I load the washer full. I've been using dryer balls to help w/ getting the laundry dry faster. I never use the amount of detergent they tell you to either- much less works just as well. I sometimes use vinegar to soften or help w/ any smells in the laundry, and never use fabric softeners.

    I wash nearly all our dishes in the dishwasher. They say it's cheaper to do it that way. Again, like the washer, I never use the amount of detergent they say to, always less.

    That's about all that comes to mind at the moment.... Other than shopping sales and using coupons, and signing up for sites like Jingit. If you have a smartphone Favado is a good app and there are several other apps that will help you save money as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the great tips! We love Aldi's too!! The cold cycle is the norm in our house as well. I'm going to have to try out the Norwex dryer balls! Thanks again!! :)

      Delete
  2. Amanda Boyd had some great tips as well! She said,
    "Great advice Em!! We are a one income family as well, and we have to save wherever we can.
    I also buy ALL of our clothes and shoes at thrift stores and consignment shops. If you are willing to search, you can find perfectly nice clothes that sometimes still have the tags on. To take that a step further, I try to only shop at even these stores when they are running a sale. For example, Goodwill has 50% off their entire store around holidays (If the holiday falls on a Monday and they are open, it will be 50% off that day. If they are closed that Monday, they will run the sale the following Monday). Most consignment shops run a sale at least one day of the week. My favorite consignment shop here in SC has 50% off all clothes and shoes every Wednesday. If you are willing to do your research, you can save even more!! I hardly ever pay more than $5 for any item, both for my boys and my husband and me!
    I also try to do all/most of my grocery shopping for the week at ALDI's!! I just discovered ALDI's about a year ago and I'll never shop anywhere else, unless they don't have the products I need. They sell organic and gluten free products now, so it's easy to also feed your family healthy foods. When you are making out your grocery list, look through your cabinets, fridge and freezer to see what you already have and make a meal around those items!
    I also have found several salvage grocery stores. These types of stores sell items such as dented cans, foods that are close to their expiration date (if they are pre-packaged items, I don't mind buying them close to expiration), items that stores have overstocked and need to move, etc. I have yet to buy food or products that aren't good. Most of these places sell items other than just food. They sell cleaning products (I get Magic Erasers for $1.00/box), cosmetics, toiletries, etc.
    Wes and I also invested in a floor heater and we keep our heat on 68 all winter long and never adjust the temperature. We keep the heater in the living room where we spend most of our time, and we just use extra blankets and wear warmer clothes while we're at home.
    We wait to see most of the movies we really want to see on the big screen until they come to the $2.50 theater. Our local theater has a couples special where you buy 2 tickets, a large pop corn and 2 large drinks for $10.00!! You can't hardly beat that for a date night!
    I also use the cold cycle on my washing machine and I make sure I fill it up. I never wash a small load!
    We also don't have a credit card and we try to live by Dave Ramsey's book. I take out cash at the beginning of each month for our groceries/toiletries. We budget $100/week for food/toiletries/eating out. When it's gone, it's gone!
    I hope some of these tips help someone else! I actually enjoy the challenge of seeing how far we can make our money stretch. It allows me to be thankful for the things we have and not take things for granted!" Thanks for the awesome advice Amanda!

    ReplyDelete