Life, Family, the Heart of Me: Hold Close The Ones You Love

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Hold Close The Ones You Love

  This day in age, it's so easy to find little pieces of joy through stories, pictures, and videos found on the internet.  My Facebook newsfeed is flooded with many positive posts every day.  I lived for those little smiles and for the cleansing tears they would bring.  I began to crave the depth and the emotions that would come from reading them.

  It's so easy to get caught up in all of that and sort of shut the rest of the world out.  It's so easy to focus on the family you live with and neglect your friends and extended family.  This past few days have been a real eye opener for me.  I've come to realize that I've been living in a bubble with Jeff and the kids, only to come out here and there, so as not to completely dismiss the outside world.  I love our little bubble.  It's safe and cozy and there's no threat here.  There's very little risk in being a family and putting your all into your husband and children.

  But, sad to say, in doing this, I have really jipped myself of many blessings and many memories I could have had with friends, cousins, and aunts and uncles.  It's not that I haven't had great times in the past few years with some really good people, it's just that I didn't put forth an effort when I should have.  I didn't extend nearly as many invitations, or accept those that were extended to me nearly as often as I should have.

  My side of the family has been dealing with some tough stuff lately.  It really got me thinking about where my priorities lie.  Of course, to put my husband and children ahead of the rest is important, but to keep others at such a distance is wrong.  While I can't take back the time that is lost, I am going to try my best to make new memories and form even closer bonds with the people I love.  I'm going to make more calls, send more texts, and open my door to my loved ones so we can truly get to know one another again.

  If you lose someone, your chance is over.  I don't want to miss out on that chance with all the wonderful people I have left.  I want to take after my Uncle Joe.  He has done what he could to keep in touch, and it is inspirational.  He sent postcards to his siblings in between visits.  Simple, sweet postcards, reminding them that he's thinking of them.  I received a couple here and there as well.

  My cousin, Heidi, has created a blog dedicated to Uncle Joe and his postcards.  His quick little messages, and her beautiful commentary really pulled at my heartstrings. If you'd like to read a bit of what she's posted, please click here to check out the blog.  Her "About the Postcard Writer" section is wonderful as well.

  As an introvert, I understand the need to keep people at a distance sometimes, just to have those moments of peace and quiet.  I've also experienced the ill-effects of completely shutting people out.  Now I see just how important it is to hold close the people you care about.  Our time here on earth is limited, don't let your life pass you by without living it fully. Don't let the years fly by without creating memories with the people near and dear to your heart.  Cherish each moment you have with your loved ones and live life to the fullest.

~Em

No comments:

Post a Comment