Life, Family, the Heart of Me: Quiet Time Themes

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Monday, February 10, 2014

Quiet Time Themes

  I am a woman.  I change my mind... often.  One of the most frequent places I switch things up is in our homeschooling.  I recently changed our schedule so that we start school after Daddy leaves for his second shift job.  I weighed all the pros and cons before deciding that was the best move for our family.  It has worked really well so far.

  The most recent change, that we started implementing today, is our quiet time routine. I normally send the two younger kids to their rooms to play quietly by themselves and have the older kids read, play computer games, or work on their school work.  This worked really well for a while, but it is time to tweak it up a bit.

  We now have themed quiet times for each day of the week.  We'll still zip our lips and keep to our own little corners, so as to bask in those few moments of peace and serenity, but we'll have specific tasks or activities to take part in.  Here's what it looks like (for now):



Quiet Time Themes

Monday ~ Movie Day

Tuesday ~ Computer Day

Wednesday ~ Reading Day

Thursday ~ Creativity Day

Friday ~ Free Choice



Movie Day!



  We usually do these activities every day anyway, but this is just an opportunity to do them on our own, or in silence.  On Movie Day, we grab our pillows and blankets and gather in the living room to watch a movie in our own little corners.  No talking, no playing, just resting and relaxing.

  My kids, especially the older ones, absolutely love the computer.  They play Minecraft, create websites, write stories, paint, use apps on the iPod touch, and enjoy the Wii and Playstation as well. While the gaming systems make a bit of noise, I thought that giving the kids that time in the middle of the day to just veg out once a week would help to curb those cravings for play when they should be focusing on their schoolwork instead.  So, for Computer Day, the plan is to let the older two play Minecraft while Logan enjoys the Playstation in his room and Ella uses Hayden's iPod apps.  Some parents prefer the kids have the least amount of screen time possible.  I would be one of those, and this is my way of compromising with my kids and keeping the peace. :)

  I absolutely love it when all computers are shut down, the tv is off and there is absolute silence, aside from the rustlings of pages turning in books.  So, naturally, I wanted to incorporate Reading Day into our week.  The kids read for the fun of it every night before the lights go out, so they aren't lacking in that important time, but this just adds to it.  They all like reading, so this is a grand opportunity to distract them from that addictive blue glow all of the screens in our house emit. 

  I have one child in particular, who lives for creative outlets like drawing, painting, and crafts.  I thought it necessary to feed her need once a week in a way that she is able to create things without interruptions from her younger siblings.  They enjoy these things as well.  For Creativity Day, everyone will find a spot to do what they'd like on their own. Since my oldest isn't into a lot of the artsy stuff, I've opened it up a bit so that he can write stories or journal entries as a way of getting his creative juices flowing.  

  On Fridays, I provide a Free Choice Day so that the kids can pick something they love to do the best.  Movies are out on this day, because I'd like to provide complete silence for those who need it, but the kids are welcome to work on their computers, create pretty art projects, read to their heart's content, etc.  It's nice to have a choice now and then, so I want to make that an option for my children. 

  Once again, the freedom that comes with homeschooling has brought so much joy to my heart.  I am so thankful that we are able to change our minds and tailor-fit our activities and schedules to meet everyone's needs.  I hope this can be of use to my fellow homeschooling/stay at home moms who need a little boost in their daily quiet times.  As always, I'm open to suggestions, so please share if you do something that works well for your family. 

~Em


No comments:

Post a Comment