Life, Family, the Heart of Me: Simple Homeschool Organization

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Simple Homeschool Organization

    I have had some homeschool newbies asking lots of questions lately about how this all works.  I recently covered my plans for curriculum and programs for this upcoming year here. (Click on highlighted word to follow link.)  Another big question is: how do I organize it all?  I do things as simply as possible.  With a couple quick, inexpensive purchases, and a bit of creative thinking on where to store your homeschool supplies, you can be well on your way to an organized, stress-free system.

    Here's what I'm doing this year, and have loved in years past:


I found these crates at Walmart for under $4.00 each


    The key for our family is to have individual crates to store each child's supplies.  The kids will pull out their own bins when it is time to start their school day.  Last year we had baskets of shared crayons, markers, and the like, and we stored everyone's notebooks in the same drawer.  While it worked well at first, things can get a bit messy... or lost that way.  So we're back to our old system, and the kids couldn't be happier. We have designated our coat closet as our "homeschool closet" and everything will be out of sight when school is not in session.

    Let me talk a bit about what these crates contain:

  • Binders~ We will use these as portfolios for the school year.  I feel better saving a good sampling of the work my children complete as "proof" if we need it, and also as a little memory book.  
  • Folders~ I have one pocket folder for each child.  One side will contain the worksheets the kids need to complete each day, and the other pocket is for their finished work that I will correct/check each night.  It's a great way to keep track. Folders always go back in the bins, so there's no losing them. We didn't follow this system last year, and our designated "turn in" spot wasn't always used by the younger munchkins.  This will make it a bit easier on them, I think.  For the kids who are able to work without assistance, I will also include an assignment sheet for each day, so they can tackle each subject and check off their completed work.
  • Notebooks~ Each child has a notebook for written homework that doesn't come on a worksheet.  As they fill their notebooks, I will replace them with a new one.  This will cut down on all the loose papers I find around the house.  
  • Pencil Boxes~ These are to store the obvious... pencils... along with other writing/coloring supplies.
  • Workbooks/Textbooks~ I will put the necessary books in their bins the night before they use them, so there is no searching when it is time to tackle a subject.  We will do a couple subjects as a family and then do written work according to grade level, but for those subjects that are grade specific, this plan will help us get moving faster throughout the day.  
  • Art Supplies/Extras~  These are items they won't use every day, so if there is something they'll need for a certain project/assignment on any given day, I'll add those items to avoid searching once again.  

    So you see, when each child has everything they need for the day in a box, there are no excuses for delayed starts with every subject-change.  Avoiding delays will cause us to zip through our school day faster so we can get on with personal interests, field trips, and family activities.

    As far as record keeping goes, I have a teacher binder I put together that contains our school calender, a copy of our schedule, important school-related websites/passwords, attendance sheets, course of study worksheets, daily progress charts, field trip logs, a copy of the current homeschool laws for our state, and will include "report cards" or grade sheets for the kids that need them.  

    For teacher/mommy supplies and those items not stored in individual crates, I have a couple extra kitchen cupboards I use as storage.  I'll probably purchase a couple clear plastic drawers for those items soon, so they can be stored in the homeschool closet with the rest of our supplies.  These items are off limits until they are placed in the kids' crates.  This prevents drama, excessive use, and giant messes.  

    As far as scheduling goes, we stick to a pretty basic schedule.  I have a post on scheduling you can check out here.  While we tweak our schedule here and there, the gist of it is the same.  This might give you an idea of how to tackle your homeschool day.

    I think that just about covers the gist of topics my friends and acquaintances have asked about.  If you have questions that haven't been answered in this post, or the others I've shared with you, feel free to message me on Facebook or email me at emilylorie82@gmail.com.  As always, I am more than happy to talk schooling with you, but please remember, I keep things very simple.

    If you are new to homeschooling this upcoming year, welcome to the family.  To the seasoned schoolers, I wish you all the best as you teach, love on, and watch your children grow this year.  Everyone have a blessed 2014/2015 school year!

~Em




No comments:

Post a Comment