Life, Family, the Heart of Me: Stuck in a Rut? Change Things Up!

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Monday, October 7, 2013

Stuck in a Rut? Change Things Up!

  We've all been there.  We get into a groove with our schooling only to have our happy little journey come to a screeching halt.  The kids get bored.  You get overwhelmed.  Things start to become not so fun.  It usually takes about 3-4 weeks for us to find ourselves stuck in a rut. I used to freak out every time.  How on earth was I supposed to teach my kids if I couldn't get through to them?  Why couldn't I stick to a perfectly polished schedule like every other homeschooler I look up to?


The kids working hard on their journals.


  I finally found some solutions to my problems and I'd like to share them with you.  They may or may not work for you, but I encourage you to find what does work the next time you're stuck in a homeschool rut.

  Every time school becomes a drag, I try to add in some fun. Here is a list of the things we include in our school year to shake things up and keep life interesting:


  • "Pinterest Day"~ The first Monday of every month we have Pinterest Day.  I'll pin cool ideas for the kids and I to go over and then we'll do 3 or more of those on Pinterest Day after our Math and Language Arts lessons.  These activities usually include some sort of science experiment, an art project, a recipe, and a game or outdoor activity.  It is a great way to add some fun and variety into our learning.
  • Holiday Parties~ We have parties for every holiday on the calendar.  Some are elaborate, some are super simple, but we always celebrate for the sake of celebrating.  We'll start partying down after our quiet time or during our lunch break, depending on what we have planned for that day.  It's fun to see the kids laugh and enjoy the simple things in life.
  • Field Trips~ It is important to me that the kids and I get out of the house and hang out with other families on a regular basis.  We take field trips at least once a month to various places.  Field trips can be as simple as a picnic at the park or a bigger deal such as a trip to the zoo.  As long as we're out and about, we really don't care where we go.  
  • Student-led Teaching ~ My two older kids love bossing the others around.... I mean.... teaching the other kids the things they know. ;)  Kayleigh (9) is my artist and enjoys coming up with little projects for the kids to make.  Hayden (11) has fun planning after school activities for everyone to participate in.  If your child has a special talent or passion they'd like to share with their siblings, let them have at it!  They learn how to exhibit great character qualities while teaching their younger brothers and sisters a few things.  This also frees mom up to observe or take a few minutes for herself.  It's a win-win plan!  I allow my kids to do these things after all of their lessons are complete for the day.
  • Family Devotions ~ It is important to me that the kids and I start our school day with God's Word.  We read from a simple devotional and discuss what that particular topic means to us and how we can apply that scripture to our lives.  It's a nice way to begin and it sets the tone for the rest of our day.  We make sure to do this in the living room, while sitting on the couches to bring a sense of family unity and comfort.  
  • No School Birthdays ~ We don't do school on birthdays!  We dedicate the day to the birthday boy or girl and make it special and fun. We do this for Mom and Dad's birthdays as well! 'Nuff said! 
  • Lighter Workload ~ Now some may disagree with me, and that is fine, but I have found that since I gave up the need to jam-pack our day full of lessons and worksheets, the kids have been happier and have in fact been retaining much more of the information they're taking in.  I set aside my worries and started doing what works for our family, despite what the "norm" may be for others and I have absolutely no regrets! Maybe the key for you could be to lighten up your workload.  It doesn't just have to be with curriculum.  Maybe there are too many activities outside of school that are causing burnout for you and your children.  Prayerfully consider what should be done to avoid burnout.  When you follow the Lord's lead and block out all other voices, your days will run more smoothly. 
  • Grandparent Newsletter ~ A new thing we've added to this year is our grandparent newsletter.  We found a great template to use and we share what is going on with our homeschool each month.  Each of my older kids is assigned an article or two.  The two younger children (4 & 6) have an advice column that brings a little humor into the mix. We also put a picture or two on there and include recipes and upcoming events.  The kids' grandparents seem to enjoy this and we have fun working on it.  It is a great way to sharpen their thinking and writing skills. We work on these during our Pinterest days. 
  • Adjust the Schedule ~ You may find that your schedule needs some adjusting.  If your schedule is too demanding, loosen it up a bit.  Give yourself more time to get the harder subjects done, or come up with an agenda that doesn't involve time-frames.  Make it more like a To Do list.  Or, on the flip side, maybe you don't follow a plan each day.  If you wing it every day and you find yourself pulling your hair out by the time the day is over, sit down and write out your goals.  Come up with a plan.  It doesn't have to be super detailed.  Give yourself something to fall back on and simple expectations for the kids to meet so that everyone knows what's coming and it isn't a hectic free-for-all every day.  I'm constantly changing things up to fit with whatever season we're in.  There's no shame in change. :)
  I hope I could help encourage you to relax and enjoy the ride a bit more.  The beauty about homeschooling is that we can make these changes or add in as much fun as we'd like to make the experience as enjoyable and beneficial as possible for our children.  I love the freedom homeschooling brings and I hope that you can embrace that feeling as well.  

  How do you get yourself out of a homeschooling rut?  I'd love for you to share! 

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment