Life, Family, the Heart of Me: Who are YOU?

~Our Family~

~Our Family~

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Who are YOU?

    This is for the moms who lead lives that are less than perfect.... and who aren't afraid to admit it, because really, those who have got it "all together" wouldn't be looking for encouragement or advice anyway, right? ;)

    We often only see the good... the seemingly perfect parts of others' lives on social media.  We see the perfectly groomed children in their carefully selected outfits.  We see the moms, with their perfectly styled hair, their fresh manicures, with their makeup ~ done to a degree worthy of a red carpet walk.

    We read posts of the accomplishments, the highs, the envy-provoking aspects of others' lives.

    What we often don't see are the temper tantrums, the frizzy haired mom with black bags under her eyes, the messy kitchens and the spit-up stains.  We don't see the tears rolling down the cheek of the parent who has been stretched to their limit for the hundredth time that week (or even that day).  We don't see the heartache that comes from various circumstances in their lives.  We don't see the fears other parents experience from raising their children in a dark and scary world.

    I am blessed to know so many real parents, who aren't afraid to keep it real.  I'm so happy to see that I'm not alone in my imperfect world.   That is why I make it my mission to post not only the good moments... not only the photos of myself at that perfect angle, wearing the perfect outfit, sporting the perfect amount of mascara... I'm no longer afraid of posting the real... the messy.... the embarrassing moments.

    That's not to say I won't reserve some of the hairy ordeals for my immediate family, but really, why are we always trying to hide?  What is the motivation behind only posting what we view as perfection?  Are we secretly trying to make others jealous?  Are we trying to appear as though we've got all our stuff together, for fear of being judged?

    I challenge you to let go of your fears, and to especially let go of that deep down, secret need to one-up your friends and acquaintances.... I challenge you to be real.  Be raw.  Be vulnerable.  People can connect with you much easier when you are open and less-than-perfect.  People can respect real... people can't respect someone who is fake as all get out! {Let me just tell you now... people can sniff out a sham a mile away.  We aren't fooling anyone.}

    So be real.  Bear your heart if you want to.  Ask for help if you need it.  Share the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Reserve what you wish, but don't close your true self off to the world in order to create an image that is clearly not you.

    I love Jesus... a LOT.  I mess up... a LOT.  I've had so many fears of talking too much about Him and being judged for not living up to whomever's standards of the "Christian" lifestyle.  I've had so many fears of admitting I just don't have it all together, and that I sin in one way or another DAILY.... for fear of being called a hypocrite.  SO.... let's just get this out of the way.... YES.  I CAN be a hypocrite.  YES... I can walk a path that doesn't align with the next Christian's path.  NO... I am in no way the ultimate Christian example... but I sure as heck am going to keep working on my walk with the Lord... and I'm going to keep aiming to please HIM (not you, or a pastor, or anyone else).  It doesn't matter how often I mess up... Jesus is right there to pick me back up and brush away the dirt.
   
    When you are real, you will face judgment from others.  But I have news for you.... when you put up a front... you're still facing judgment.  Who would you rather be?  What would you rather be judged for?  Wouldn't you rather be you and ignore the haters, or are you going to continue walking through life, trying to keep everyone happy... trying to impress every person who looks your way.... needing to show the world a you that isn't really "you".... do you REALLY want to put all your efforts into such a strenuous task?  I sure don't.

    I encourage you to seek out those who are genuine, unique, the REAL DEAL, and befriend them.  Find out how they tick... grasp on to the encouragement they offer, and learn from them.  Don't become like them, unless they are much like who you are, but glean from that wisdom they extend and learn to become comfortable in your own skin.

    I can tell you, that I sleep better, I feel better, I am at peace when I am ME.  The ME that GOD created me to be.  So I encourage you to dig deep and cultivate the person you were meant to be.  Allow your true self to blossom forth and gift the world with a true and unique individual.  We will all benefit more from knowing TRUE, real, AMAZING people, rather than replicas and robots.

    The choice is yours... who are YOU going to be?

No comments:

Post a Comment